Before I took this class, and probably only since last weeks class period, I would have been included in the crowd that Schloss categorizes in his introduction as finding b-boying “somewhere between parachute pants and Rubik’s cubes, a Reagan era fad.” Last weeks look at the bonus interviews in Style Wars helped change that perspective some, and Foundation was a nice addition. Here were some of the things I liked from the first part of the book, I’ll finish the rest before class tomorrow.
First, like “Roc the Mic Right” for a few weeks ago, I love the ethnographic approach. Using personal interviews from those who are involved and creating the culture is the best approach I have seen in the works we have read. It gives a since of authenticity that is slightly removed from a simple academic analysis of lyrics or otherwise.
Second, I love Schloss’s overarching theme that hip hop did not just “happen.” Rather he points to specific choices and innovations within the culture that shaped hip hop. One example I particularly like was the connection between deejay and b-boy. “The breaks” being highlighted and used to get the b-boys interested, and the two turn tables to highlight those breaks (p28).
Finally, though I didn’t quite get his argument until the end of the chapter, his focus on the personal relationships and the individual nature of the transfer of culture was interesting. I think we saw that with deejays a few weeks ago, and especially with graffiti last week. I think that also ties into what we have said about call and response, and beyond that fits in with Schloss’s point about the organic and purposeful creation of hip hop I mentioned previously.
Sunday, April 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good stuff, Tom. I agree, I will have to finish the rest up tomorrow because I am swamped right now...
ReplyDeleteI appreciate the ethnographic approach, as well. I think it gives a little more life to the story and it gets some on the ground perspective of how the culture actually works for people, how they actually participate with it. At the same time, it does lend itself to being skewed towards a regional bias or letting too few of people determine the entire history of b-boying. This especially became true when the discussion over the meaning of the "b" came up or even how sort of breakdancing was interpreted by the hip hop community. Schloss's approach is definitely enjoyable and I think more authentic, but we still need a bit of skepticism when analyzing it.
Tom-
ReplyDeleteI like what you say about the transfer of culture. With all four of the elements of hip-hop, people learn their artists through participation in the experience itself and through the traditions and histories passed down by teachers. As Schloss explains, b-boys don't learn their moves from watching Youtube videos at home; they go out and attend competitions, try the dance styles themselves, and get feedback from the people who do it best. This truly is a transferrable culture; and so, while we may never be able to record that transfer as well or as accurately as we might like, it is still rich and meaningful in its traditions.